Provider: College of Management and IT (CMIT)
Address: Southern Cross Business Park, Bray, Co. Wicklow
Telephone: 01 286 5783 or 01 276 5015
The course will enable learners to:
1. obtain a better understanding about drugs and alcohol misuse,
2. obtain knowledge about the different types of drugs available and their side effects and use,
3. obtain a better understanding why people take drugs,
4. gain a better understanding about why people use alcohol,
5. find out what treatment is available in your area and how to access it,
6. find out how to set up a drug or alcohol abuse treatment programme in your area, and to
7. understand the principles of drug and alcohol misuse counselling.
Students receive a course manual, assignments and study-guide plus tutor support. The course documentation is detailed and easy to read. Your tutor and student support team will support you throughout the duration of the course.
Unit 1: Introduction
Unit 2: The a-z of drugs- effects, risks & the law
Unit 3: Alcohol abuse
Unit 4: Why people use drugs and alcohol
Unit 5: Drug and alcohol prevention and awareness
Unit 6: The basics of counselling
Unit 7: Traditional counselling styles
Unit 8: Counselling for alcohol problems
Unit 9: Counselling for substance misuse
•People considering a career in counselling.
•Parents, teachers and youth workers.
•People who wish to gain an introductory qualification in drug and alcohol counselling and wish to study at their own pace.
For further course information visit http://www.cmit.ie/courses-psychology-health-distance-learning/drug-and-alcohol-counselling-distance-learning.html
See course website for more information.