Provider: DBS School of Arts
Address: Dublin Business School, 13/14 Aungier Street, Dublin 2
Telephone: 01 417 7500
• To formally explore addictions from a variety of academic and scientific perspectives; including social, cultural, psychological, anthropological, and psychoanalytic perspectives
• To evaluate how these perspectives interact and how they differ from each other
• To critically inform policy making in relation to addictions, as well as the management of addiction services and the treatment of addictions
This programme is designed for students with a background in psychology, psychoanalysis, anthropology, sociology, or a cognate discipline who wish to acquire a postgraduate qualification in the area of Addiction. It is also very suitable for applicants with a clinical training in health or social care who wish to apply a knowledge of the theory and approaches to addiction to their clinical work. In addition, the course provides an exciting and thought-provoking foundation for students who may wish to subsequently pursue training in the counselling or psychotherapy of addiction.
The full-time day programme is one year in duration & contains three twelve week semesters. The course has four key components:
• An academic programme of lectures
• A weekly seminar with emphasis on research
• Clinical visits to addiction treatment centres
• A period of research for an extended thesis
To be considered for admission, applicants must:
• Hold a minimum Second Class Honours (2:2) Degree in any humanities or social science discipline from a recognised third level institution, or equivalent qualification,
• Be a graduate of any non-cognate discipline & hold a qualification in a conversion style programme such as a Postgraduate Higher Diploma in Psychoanalytic Studies, or
• Have an equivalent professional qualification.
In addition, applicants whose first language is not English must:
• Hold an IELTS socre of a minimum 6.0 or equivalent
For more information about the course, see the course website at https://www.dbs.ie/course/postgraduate/master-of-arts-(ma)-in-addiction-studies
This course was first offered in 1999 and is repeated annually.