Provider: NUI Maynooth
Address: Department of Adult and Community Education, NUI Maynooth, Co Kildare
Telephone: 01 708 6062
1. To provide participants with a broad view of key theoretical framework and practical debates which arise in relation to substance misuse and dependence
2. To enable participants develop basic helping and intervention skills in the field of drug and alcohol misuse
3. To enhance participants’ knowledge of social and community issues relevant to substance misuse and dependence
4. To heighten participants’ awareness in relation to personal, organisational and vocational issues which may arise in the course of their work within the field of substance misuse.
Module 1: Group work & facilitation skills/reflective learning
Module 2: Substance misuse and dependence
Module 3: Drug & alcohol misuse in contemporary Ireland
Module 4: Approaches to prevention treatment & rehabilitation
The course is aimed at people aged 21 and over.
Participants must be 21 years of age or over. It is preferable that applicants have:
• Experience of working in a community setting.
• Experience of working with alcohol and/or drug-related problems.
• Openness to reflect on one’s own practice attitudes and beliefs.
• Commitment to learning in a group setting.
Applicants must submit a short essay describing their reasons for applying.
For more information see www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/courses/certificate-addiction-studies#tabs-overview
On the basis of a written application and essay.
Maynooth University Cork College of Commerce (Tel: 086 833 7598) Start date: Oct. 2016 For Fees, Times and Days check with venue.
• Clondalkin, Dublin (Tel: 01 4579445/ 086 8581787)
• Donahies, Dublin (Tel: 01 8482217/ 01 8473522)
• Limerick (Tel: 065 6865852)
This course has been running in various locations for a number of years.