Provider: Community Outreach Drug and Alcohol Project – Cork City Partnership
Address: Cork City Partnership Ltd. Level 1, Heron House Blackpool Retail Park Blackpool Cork City Telephone: 021–4302310
Contact: Jacqueline Daly
Title: Community Development / Drug & Alcohol Worker
Telephone: 087 1962030
This course is designed to promote good practice among those who work (paid / voluntary) with young people and communities. It provides a critical perspective on some of the issues including community development and drug / alcohol issues which can affect young people and communities and encourages the development of coherent responses at individual and organisational level. The two components should promote the ability of learners to work safely and effectively in youth and / or community work settings. The programme also aims to provide the participants with the necessary knowledge and skills in sourcing and / or resourcing applicable supports systems, both within and outside their communities.
1. Understanding Community Development - The purpose of this component is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and ability to engage with the key ideas which underpin community development in Ireland. It will also outline the potential of community development to contribute to social change in relation to a range of issues e.g. poverty, equality, attitudes to substance misuse, immigration etc. This component will also look at some current challenges to community development's role as a process of social change in favour of the most marginalised.
2. Substance use issues for youth work
• Be aged 21 or over,
• Send in relevant application form,
• Attend a pre-entry information session,
• Attend an interview in Cork City Partnership,
• Have Leaving Certificate or its equivalent and /or relevant life and work experiences (recognised prior learning),
Applicants are expected to be active participants in the community in either a voluntary or work capacity.
In order to gain employment or volunteer in this sector Garda Vetting is mandatory.
Interviews will be held. For more information see: http://corkcitypartnership.ie/community-outreach-and-drug-awareness-programme/ or the course brochure http://corkcitypartnership.ie/pdf-viewer/?file=http://corkcitypartnership.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SUI-Course-Brochure-17-18.pdf