Home > Drug use among the homeless population in Ireland.

National Advisory Committee on Drugs. Lawless, Marie and Corr, Caroline (2005) Drug use among the homeless population in Ireland. Dublin: Stationery Office.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
5MB
[img]
Preview
PDF (Summary of homeless population study) - Supplemental Material
55kB

The overall aim of this report was to assess the nature, extent and context of drug use among people who are homeless in Ireland. The study employed both quantitative and qualitative methodologies.

A total of 355 individuals experiencing homelessness agreed to participate in the survey questionnaire element of the study. The majority were from the Dublin homeless population (70%), with the remaining 30% recruited from Cork, Galway and Limerick. Personal drug use (19%) was cited as the second most common reason for becoming homeless. Thirteen percent reported personal alcohol use. The majority of those experiencing homelessness first used drugs before becoming homeless (87%). Those that used drugs before becoming homeless reported a younger age of first drug use.

Personal drug use (n=67; 19%) was cited as the second most common reason for becoming homeless. Thirteen percent reported personal alcohol use (n=44). Alcohol use as a primary reason for becoming homeless was higher in Limerick and Galway (22% and 17% respectively) in comparison to 11% in both Dublin and Cork. The majority of those experiencing homelessness first used drugs before becoming homeless (87%). Those that used drugs before becoming homeless reported a younger age of first drug use. (15 v 24 years).


Date:2005
Call No:REF, NACD
Pages:208 p.
Publisher:Stationery Office
Corporate Creators:National Advisory Committee on Drugs
Place of Publication:Dublin
ISBN:0-7557-7066-8
Keywords:alcohol abuse, AOD use, abuse, and dependence, Cork, Dublin, Galway, homelessness, Limerick
EndNote:View
Accession Number:HRB (["eprint_fieldopt_accession_status_" not defined]), HRB 2860 (Available), HRB (["eprint_fieldopt_accession_status_" not defined]), HRB (["eprint_fieldopt_accession_status_" not defined])
Related URLs:
Subjects:MA-ML Social science, culture and community > Type of society and culture > Urban society
MA-ML Social science, culture and community > Social condition > Homelessness
VA Geographic area > Europe > Ireland
T Demographic characteristics > Homeless person
A Substance use, abuse, and dependence > Prevalence > Substance use behaviour

Repository Staff Only: item control page