Provider: DBS School of Arts
Address: Dublin Business School, 13/14 Aungier Street, Dublin 2
Telephone: 01 417 7500
• To investigate several areas of addiction, including theory, treatment, addictive behaviour and its impact on the individual, the family and the wider community
• To provide a grounding in the study of addiction and cover most of the major associated themes
• To provide some theoretical knowledge for people who are working or interested in the area, to deepen their understanding and knowledge
• Theoretical models of addiction
• Types of addiction, addictive behaviours, including self harming and eating disorders
• Treatment methods and models of treatment
• Harm reduction, health promotion, HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
• Gender issues
• Criminal behaviour associated with drug misuse
• Impact of addiction on family, family adjustment and co-dependency
• Impact of addiction on wider community
• Contemporary social policy and social issues
The course provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of addiction studies. It is relevant for anyone involved in addiction service provision or for anyone interested in working in this area. It also informs anyone who encounters the challenges of dealing with addiction in their work or personal lives.
Applicants must be aged 18 years or over.
For more information about the course, visit the course website at http://www.dbs.ie/Addiction-Studies/Evening-Diploma.htm
This course was first offered in 2003 and runs in October and February each academic year.