Action 35 in the National Drugs Strategy (interim) 2009 - 2016 requires that a review of the Methadone Treatment Protocol take place to maximise the provision of treatment, to facilitate appropriate progression pathways (including exit from methadone treatment where appropriate) and to encourage engagement with services. The review will include engagement with the community and voluntary sectors. The Methadone Treatment Protocol (MTP) was initiated on publication of the Misuse of Drugs (Supervision of Prescriptions and Supply of Methadone) Regulations, 1998 (S.I. No. 225/1998).
The protocol has previously been reviewed internally.The HSE has now commissioned Professor Michael Farrell, Professor of Addiction Psychiatry and Director of Postgraduate Medical Education in the Institute of Psychiatry London, to carry out a review, in line with action 35 of the National Drugs Strategy.
The terms of reference for the review are:
- to review the MTP with regard to maximising provision of treatment including detoxification, stabilisation, and rehabilitation;
- to review the MTP with regard to Clinical Governance and audit;
- to review the MTP with regard to effectiveness of referral pathways;
- to review the MTP with regard to the enrolment of GP's, the training of GP's, the criteria for Level 1 and Level 2 GP's, and the GP co-ordinator role;
- to review the MTP with regard to urinalysis testing; its appropriateness and efficacy;
- to engage with the Department of Justice with regard to the prescribing of Methadone in Garda Stations; and
- to review the MTP with regard to data collection, collation and analysis.
The HSE have requested Professor Joe Barry, Professor of Population Health Medicine at Trinity College, to work with Professor Farrell on the review.
Submissions are invited from interested parties to inform this review. These should be forwarded to Jelena Ivanovic by email: email@example.com; or by post: C/o HSE, Mill Lane, Palmerstown, Dublin 20 by Wednesday 30th June 2010.
|Date:||11 June 2010|
|Corporate Creators:||Health Service Executive|
|Subjects:||VA Geographic area > Europe > Ireland|
HJ Treatment method > Drugs and alcohol disorder treatment method > Drugs and alcohol replacement method (substitution) > Methadone maintenance
Repository Staff Only: item control page